Payments & Insurance

Payment & Insurance Information

Georgia State Health Insurance
The Georgia Board of Regents has contracted with United Health Care to provide insurance for GSU students for the 2012-2013 academic year. For detailed information regarding health insurance plans available to Georgia State University students with United Healthcare.

The following groups of GSU students are required to have health insurance:

  • Undergraduate and Graduate International Students holding “F” or “J” visa status
  • Graduate Students receiving Full-time tuition waivers
  • Graduate Students receiving fellowships that fully fund their tuition
  • Graduate and undergraduate students enrolled in programs that require proof of health insurance as determined by GSU.

Additionally, a voluntary plan is available for those students not covered under the mandatory plan who are enrolled in at least 6 credit hours.

We file all medical claims for students who have the United Health Care plan for Georgia State University students.

How to file a medical claim with your own insurance company:
If your health insurance company provides coverage for care provided at Georgia State University Health Clinic, it is your responsibility to know the limitations and requirements of your plan prior to receiving services. In many cases, your insurance plan may require per-authorization and possibly an out-of-network referral in order for the service to be covered. If you are unsure of your coverage, please contact the customer service department of your insurance plan. Most companies list their phone number on the back of the insurance card.

Check with your insurance company on how to submit a claim form (companies have different requirements). Typically you must fill out your insurance company’s claim form and send it along with a copy of the Billing Invoice. Please arrange for the insurance company to reimburse you.

Georgia State University Health Clinic cannot accept the responsibility for submitting or collecting your insurance claim or for negotiating a settlement on a disputed claim.