Introducing Dr. Rita Beckford as Medical Director

Posted On July 11, 2016
Categories Uncategorized

Recently, Dr. Rita Beckford, medical director of Georgia State University’s Student Health Clinic, was interviewed regarding her background in medicine and her vision for the university clinic. Here’s what Dr. Beckford had to say:

Q: How did you get into medicine?
A: Medicine has always been about love to me. I was majoring in engineering at Northwestern University when my grandmother, Rose, became ill. She was diagnosed with diabetes, high cholesterol, needed dialysis and was placed on 12 different medications. At that time, she asked me,

Have you ever thought about getting into medicine?

~ Rose, Dr. Beckford’s grandmother

After thinking about it and deciding it was something I wanted to pursue, I met with my advisor and found that I could change my major and go in that direction. You could say that I decided to practice medicine because of my grandmother.

Q: Tell me about your work experience.
A: I have worked in many diverse settings, private and public. I’ve had experiences in urban hospital settings as well as corporate wellness in fortune 500 companies such as CNN and BP. I have been featured as a guest on the Dr. Oz show, and continue to write on the Dr. Oz blog that inspires others to lead a healthy lifestyle. Wellness is really my passion.

Q: What is your medical approach?
A: Wellness and Prevention. My philosophy is to create a partnership with my patients and give individualized care. Everyone is unique, and everyone deserves a personalized plan. Each patient needs to feel comfortable and respected. I try and come up with creative ways to keep them healthy.

Q: What are some of your hobbies?
A: My favorite thing in the world is waking up in a new place. I love to travel and explore new cultures and new foods. I also love the spa, being outdoors and spending time with my family.

Q: What would be your advice to students?
A: I would tell them to explore and try new things. Take new classes, anything that peaks your interest. On this campus, you have such diversity. You’ll never get another opportunity to try so many different things. Never stop exploring.